Tuesday, November 21, 2017

November 21 - Chibicoro Superheroes


... But if you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, and if they can’t stop you, then you become something else entirely.

~ Ra's al Ghul Batman Begins (2005)

I was chatting with someone today who expressed a bit of disappointment that I was embracing such a seemingly simple concept as balloon art when I just finished making some amazing Nao balloon art.  Paraphrasing my reply here:

Chibi's are simpler balloons conceptually, but more challenging than building some bigger structures.  Small balloons are unforgivable, like Picos - slight variations in size and pressure are obvious, you have very little room to work with to realize your creation and in order to keep things in scale, and very few balloon options to use.

Here is a perfect example, I had visions of building a bunch of heroes, but tried and tried again playing around trying to get a form I liked.  I started with an idea to add a head on top by pinch twisting a very soft bubble, thinking I had to have feet color underneath the pants.  I was feeling lukewarm on the first attempts so I built the two cleaner versions to the right below which gave me an extra attempt at drawing the faces, but those didn't feel right either - more like a chubby Pico than Chibicoro.  Finally I tried a couple that closely followed the Chibicoro form and they ended up being my favorite.

Excelsior!





Other Chibicoro balloon designs:

Show All

2 comments:

  1. Chibicoro balloons are my favorite and I want to master them .. thanks for posting. I want to learn how to make the chili dogs.

    ReplyDelete