Thursday, May 10, 2018

May 10 - Maria Franz



~ Heilung - Othan
Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

The balloon today is dedicated to Maria Franz, Norwegian singer and co-founder of the bands Euzen and Heilung.  This image is based on the shaman she portrays in Heilung.

I tend to like a wide variety of music, my kids never know what will be playing in the car when I pick them up: choral music, reggae, 80's rock/metal, perhaps some songs I might be practicing for my next time at Karaoke.  Recently it's been a selection of Norwegian folk music, but to describe Heilung as music seems somehow insufficient - it's more like magic.

The video above is for the song Othan, the text of which is from Hávamál - The Sayings of Hár, the second poem in the Poetic Edda - which is said to be one of the most important works regarding Norse mythology and Germanic heroic legends. Maria's vocals are as hauntingly beautiful as she is herself.


1 comment: