Tuesday, August 8, 2017

August 8 - Chameleon


Lot of chameleons out there, try'na change up
Anytime somethin' new comes along, everybody wants a bite
Don't happen overnight

~ Cypress Hill (Rock) Superstar

Here is another from onsite at Bling Bling Jam again.

Nao Osaka is a great instructor and certainly knows his craft well enough to dance around the room unraveling problems and getting people straightened out when making something with so cool and complex.  This was a class that started at 11pm, which made for a few people who were ... lets just say back from dinner and drinks (maybe not dinner).  And me, effectively awake at 2am.

I have been a big fan of Nao's style for a while, his designs are some of the favorite things I've built.  He has a way of capturing artistic forms in simple elegant ways.  That feels like something you should tell someone, right?   So after class I went up to him, said "loved this", he said something I didn't catch and gestured to my built chameleon and I said ... "yeah .. thank you", but his hand was out still, so I grabbed it to shake but his fingers were a bit limp.  It was when Nao was looking at me quizzically as I was shaking his limp hand that I realized he was probably instead asking for me to hand him the chameleon.  I'm not sure if it would have made it more awkward at that moment to bop him on the head with the chameleon and run around the room,  ... but instead I went to bed.

I really love the way Nao uses all (well mostly) 260's for his designs, he is masterful at constructing a woven body.  He had a sheet for attendees with picture instructions on how to make the main section so it was very easy to follow along.  This makes it easy (maybe even easier) and fun to downsize his designs.  So since I was awake at 6am the next morning I built the little guy in the room and took the rest of the pictures.





Other balloon designs from Bling Bling Jam 2017:


Other balloon designs from Nao:

Show All

2 comments: