Thursday, March 12, 2020

March 12 - Tsuru


"9 out of 10 things are really just a set-up for that amazing 10th spark of brilliance."

~ Michael Floyd (paraphrasing)

The Balloon Blast Show is back in force and on schedule for Season 6!  Dan Staples was talking on a recent episode (link) about "silly ideas you just can't get out of your head".  This was one that wouldn't get out of my brain meat - Origami Tsuru.

The tsuru or "bird" is the first origami almost everyone learns, one of the simplest bases and contains the fundamentals from which most all other origami derives from in some fashion.  It's the paper balloon dog if you will.

I included the crease pattern to show how it's constructed from one square balloon.  😂 Origami humor.  Look, I realize the only one laughing is me - and I'm doing it right now as I type this like some sort of madman ... but that is like crazy laughter fuel.

Origami has been something I have been doing (again) the past couple years.  It fulfills the need to create, but less so the need to be creative.  Like following a complex and precise alchemy formula, you can absolutely be creative with Origami, but it takes a high level of expertise and knowledge and patience that I lack.  I'm more of a finger painter than an alchemist when it comes to art. 

The origami pig is designed by Ronald Koh (video link) and uses some fancy purple/gold washi paper.  It's a little tougher to fold with, but it has a cool texture and there is a sense of carefulness, like tending a bonsai tree, using a piece of fancy paper when making an origami encourages.





No comments:

Post a Comment