Monday, March 16, 2020

March 16 - Bananaman


"Love isn’t a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like “struggle.” To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now."

~ Fred Rogers

In 1983 there was a BBC cartoon series called Bananman, where a little boy would get his powers by eating a banana and (like a hybrid Popeye-Shazam) transformed into Bananaman to save the day as superhero crime-fighter, all resolved in under 5 minutes.

I watched quite a few episodes looking for an interesting catchphrase or a catchphrase or ... interesting.  I think this was back before people cared if things were good and were just banking on the fact that it's "animated so kids will love it - plus it's got such a positive message about bananas".

Thank you for being you, and understanding me, Mr. Rogers.

What would Bananaman be like if Fred was in charge? ... well for one thing I would probably eat them despite a little bruising.  They would never get thrown away uneaten.  ... and I would have an amazing composting system.  I miss you, Mr. Rogers.

Kaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy....


No comments:

Post a Comment