Thursday, March 5, 2020

March 5 - Fiddler on the Green


Isn't it a shame
The reaper said
He is quite alone here
And still waiting for you

~ Demons & Wizards, Fiddler on the Green

Both Demons & Wizards and Blind Guardian are fronted by one of my favorite singers - ‎Hansi Kürsch. He has such a distinctive voice, it's like I have two versions of the same band. Blind Guardian was my introduction, they have a concept album dedicated to the Lord of the Rings that became somewhat of a backdrop for most of my gaming adventures - but as the principle lyricist, both bands songs typically reference some of my favorite authors:  Frank Herbert, Robert Jordan, Stephen King, Michael Moorcock.

This song is a poetic tribute, well worth your listen (link).  The Fiddler on the Green is death who is beseeching a younger girl to take his hand, because he had taken a boy (her soulmate) too early.  I read that this was based on Hansi witnessing two car crashes within a week, the first claiming the life of a young boy - the second a young girl.  *tears*

This inspiration for making this came from a baby reaper Ace of Clay made on his YouTube channel.  I went through an alarming amount of iterations trying to get the cowl look right hanging over the face, but I had to give up because I was getting obsessive and stuck.  I need to be mindful of the adage "done is better than perfect". 



No comments:

Post a Comment