Monday, July 3, 2017

July 3 - Flags


WAR-DANCE!
TERRITORY, It's just the body of the nation
The people that inhabit it make its configuration
PREJUDICE, Something we all can do without
Cause a flag of many colors is what this land's all about

~ Anthrax Indians

We are still out of town visiting my grandmother.  Since tomorrow is the 4th of July, I thought making a couple flags would be a good idea.

I don't think I've ever made a flag, but the one I like the best ... perhaps it's even better to say the one I have the most pride in, is the rainbow flag.

The rainbow flag recently received two new stripes and was unveiled last month in Philadelphia as part of a new campaign, More Color More Pride, which aims to recognize nonwhite LGBT communities as part of the broader pride movement. I remain shocked that people would take issue, or seek to deny basic civil/human rights to a person based on their gender preferences.

Recently Dr. Who handled this brilliantly in an episode where Bill, the Doctor's new lesbian companion was being hit on by a young roman. When Bill breaks it to the Roman soldier that she’s only interested in women, he is a bit condescending not because she snubbed his advances but because to him, being bisexual is the default and only preferring one gender is limiting.





1 comment: