Saturday, January 6, 2018

January 6 - Anastasya's Boy


“Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.”

~ Søren Kierkegaard

This week I worked through a bit of what I will refer to as creative paralysis.

I have a lot of things I want to do, but with the freedom to work on any of them and lack of the structure I had established made it so I was doing and second-guessing and redoing and changing my mind as to if it was good enough.  There was an assumed apology with previous entries here "well I only had 24 hours" - but now with the freedoms I'm allowing myself, there are no excuses.

I'm reminded of a video poker game I built back in the early internets, easily worthy of being published freeware.  But I instead I thought would add  the ability to import your own deck of cards.  ... and then what about allowing you to paint your own deck of cards.  ... and then what about adding a CD player to the program ... custom sounds ... etc.  Feature creep in hindsight that was probably to avoid publishing.

You feel exposed, it's a bit of an assumption when you make something and say - "I created this for you to enjoy".  I want it to be something great, but I have to realize and not to wax too poetic but it's a journey and not a destination.  So here we are - one step on the next bit of the journey together.

The idea for this image was to embody the notion of starting fresh with the knowledge of the past and the freedoms of the future, cliche idea perhaps - but I won't let that stop me.  The head is based on one of the designs from  Anastasya Sokol's faces collection. This is a simple example, but I really love the hair style varieties she's able to achieve. The body is a copy of the little girl by Tatyana Djeta Lyashko. One of my projects for this year should be to build bodies with more confidence, I think this style matched okay - but not perfect.





Other designs by or inspired by Anastasya Sokol:




Other designs by or inspired by Tatyana Djeta Lyashko:

1 comment:

  1. WOW!! GREAT SCULPTURE!! This is going to be an amazing journey! Thanks for sharing it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete