Tuesday, January 9, 2018

January 9 - Bald Guy


All the same we take our chances
Laughed at by time
Tricked by circumstances
Plus ca change
Plus c'est la meme chose
The more that things change
The more they stay the same

~ Rush - Circumstances

For the few of you who have contacted me concerned about the future of the Daily Purple Pig blog, you can see - plus c'est la meme chose..  I had need to bring something to the office this Monday so I built the next balloon keeping that in mind.

I've never really liked my medium sized humanoid shape and this was a good opportunity to play with those.  First I made a base one in blue who had me thinking of a politician.  I was going for "everyday office worker" on my second build and cleaned up a few things, changing the mouth to a smile.  I minimized the hip joints on the pants and gave him some fatter shoulders for the rolled up cuffs.  I also used a smaller sized outer balloon which made for a rather nice pear shape to the overall head. 

This uses Tatyana DjeTa Lyashko's most recent collection of videos, "Vol. 11 - Heads 2". Tatyana has taken to making video's nowadays instead of PDFs - it's helpful and perhaps necessary to demonstrate some of the distortion techniques she uses. This is the first of the collection and probably the simplest - it uses a non-standard face structure and creates a nice cartoon image with the gigantic nose.

I think this is also a good demonstration of the benefits of doing a test build when creating something like this.  Be self critical - analyze the awkward bits from that first build and build that in consideration.  Here's an example of how I tore down my first build before starting the second:
- awkward arms
- bulbous tie
- gigantic hip pinch twists
- too long of torso, too short of legs
- mouth too round
- eyes too small
- eyebrows should not be flesh color








Other designs by or inspired by Tatyana Djeta Lyashko:

Show All Tatyana

1 comment: