Thursday, March 29, 2018

March 29 - Alligator With Finger Food


The most recent and last for a while episode of Alex Pardee's Sketch 4 Sketch show had this challenge, which was to draw something based on a sketch that he was using that evening.

There are some inherent difficulties in trying to build balloons vs. drawing a picture.  There are less liberties to take because balloons are (for the most part) three sizes of cylinders and some rounds, and yet it still has to look like a "something". 

Additionally, any pen work on a balloon does not look as well as it would on an image because it is difficult to give things a 3D look when a slight change in viewpoint will destroy the illusion.

However, there is one major advantage that modelling provides in an example like this.  I'm able to look at things from more that right-side up or down.  In this case I turned it to face the camera and saw a baby alligator.

When I built the first on the left, I wasn't content with the nostrils, nor the difficulty with positioning the body on the feet.   I built the one on the right but felt he needed something that I couldn't put my finger quite on (Dad jokes FTW!), so I added the hand-kabob.







Other balloon designs inspired by Alex Pardee:

Show All












1 comment: