Monday, May 25, 2020

May 25 - Dome Head Panda


"You gotta let go of that stuff from the past because it just doesn't matter.  The only thing that matters is what you choose to be right now."

 ~ Po  Kung-Fu Panda

The Balloon Brothers (Joe and Brad Mock) recently taught at the Q Corner Convention.  The convention had a "short story" kind of benefit in that you got a quick exposure to a variety of styles and authors that I hadn't known about.

Apparently I missed a whole thing when these guys hit to balloon world like a storm with their stylized and usable balloon forms and have released a huge amount of tutorials over the past couple years.

So to use that same band analogy I used with Mr. Sung -- this is like I'm at the record store, I pull of the headphones and say something super-lame like "wow, that Justin guy from NSYNC seems pretty good"  Finally catching on to something that everyone already gets.

Here is the Panda they showed, I really like the "dome head" technique they show ... and they do have a tutorial series for it.

That mouth was a series of bad decisions.  I believe the process went "Too low, too far right, too big, hmm .. uhh ...I think I'll just rebuild it."   There is a subtlety that is lost with a monster mouth, let along looking like it's a zombie-virus kind of crazed.  Simply "angry eyebrows" can be a lot more effective.  One might wonder why it's angry rather than assuming "oh, it's hungry".





(view other pandas)

Other balloons inspired by the Q Corner Convention:


No comments:

Post a Comment