Friday, September 2, 2016

September 2 - Sweet Hippo


Bad company is like a nail driven into a post, which, after the first and second blow, may be drawn out with little difficulty; but being once driven up to the head, the pincers cannot take hold to draw it out, but which can only be done by the destruction of the wood.

~ Augustine of Hippo

I feel need to clarify something.  When I wrote yesterday that Eric Weinstein's Sweet Cheeks looks like it was filmed in a prison, it was meant to be playful.  In no way did I mean anything negative about the content, the instructions are perfectly clear and I really do like that he does it in one take and makes repairs as needed.  You can tell by the list at the bottom of this post that I'm a huge fan.

You should also be able to tell from these images that the video is a very worthwhile investment if you are a balloon artist.

I really love the look of this hippopotamus, the big smooshy face and teeth, the eyebrows, the ears - it all works so well.  The one thing I struggle with in these sweet cheek designs though are the feet.  I really need to figure out something better than these boots.  Thankfully this hippo looks great popping out of the water.

I had a last minute deflation when attaching the mocha hippo to the Geo, but using a fresh balloon gave a fantastic shape to the body.  It's my favorite of the bunch.

I timed myself building the yellow spotted pig.  This was only the third I have built, I have never practiced 'speed twisting', and despite having to fix a mistake of under filling one of the balloons - the whole thing, including waiting for white marker to dry, took just over 8 minutes.  That was with the extra work of attaching a Geo base as well, I already have in mind a few things I would do next time if going for speed.  But like Howlin' Wolf - I'm built for comfort, not for speed (link)  ...

Spongebobopotamus

I'm Henry - and I'm hungry hungry! 

It would be hippo-critical to call him fat ...



Other posts with Eric's designs:


Show all

1 comment: