Friday, September 9, 2016

September 9 - Sweet Panda


Quit, don't quit... Noodles, don't noodles... You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.

~ Master Oogway Kung Fu Panda

This panda is sweet! - Sweet cheeks of course!

Eric Weinstein filled this video with an amazing amount of content - in this one he not only shows the how to make this panda, but he also gives you tips on his distortion techniques to create the bamboo.

I was in a webinar ages ago where he showed how to make a stick of bamboo. Webinars can be tough to follow sometimes, if you have a deflation or miss something important, it's easy to get behind, and even though we're always invited to ask to slow down - I tend to just resort to taking notes and a few screenshots to help me along the way, and then try to build everything once it's over.

I had problems when trying to copy the (different) panda design he was teaching at the time and had reverted to taking notes. I was catching up on those when he was teaching the distortion for bamboo, and although I saw it and it "made sense" - I wasn't able to grasp the nuances of how to hold the balloon and stuff it properly, which is as important as knowing how to twist it!

Now with this panda, I was able to study his technique, I saw how full to make things, it's awesome the way he [redacted] and [redacted]. I couldn't have done it without [redacted] first!  I had popped so many balloons trying to recreate it from my notes, and these I did without a problem.

(You've got to see for yourself!)

I have some 11" hearts I tried making a larger sized one, it's like wrestling an angry cat while palming a basketball trying to squeeze those cheeks out of such a large balloon, but I was able to get them somewhat even and upsize the rest. I'm glad I took a picture immediately though, shortly thereafter a cheek started losing air - and fiddling with it only made it fizzle out faster, then trying to cheat with a round caused the entire thing to BLAM!


Peter Panda - Never gonna grow up!

Giganda Elephanda Panda

Panda, Pig ... duh, Panda


Other posts with Eric's designs:


Show all


1 comment:

  1. It's all black and white now! Thanks for the smiles!!!

    ReplyDelete