Monday, June 20, 2016

June 20 - Hank the Octopus


There's a magic in the early morning we've found
When the sunrise smiles on everything around
It's a portrait of the happiness that we feel and always will
Eight is enough to fill our lives with love

Actually Hank is a "septipus", he lost one of his tentacles.

Dan Staples shared this tutorial on youtube a couple days ago (link), Hank is one of the stars of the newest Disney movie, Finding Dory.   This design, like Dan's Dory (which I really should build at some point!) are very easily done and yet still look fantastic.

Being that the number of legs define this character I wonder if that will be noticed, I think I'll keep creating seven - I don't think it looks too busy in the marigold version.

I really like the eye area, messing up the pinch twists gives him a bit of a cockeyed look that looks so much better than if he were perfectly symmetrical - though most of the expressions did seem a bit 'worried'. I think you might need to add eyebrows to make him angry...



How many of us does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

... 1/8


Octapi doesn't mean 8 pies?  ... 



Other posts with Dan's designs:


Show all

1 comment: