Thursday, June 9, 2016

June 9 - Donald Duck


“Who's got the sweetest disposition?
One Guess. Guess Who?
Who never never starts an arguement?
Who never shows a bit of temperament?
Who's never wrong, but always right?
Who'd never dream of starting a fight?
Who gets stuck with all the bad luck?
No one but Donald Duck!”

Donald Fauntleroy Duck, one of the Disney "Big 3", premiered June 9th, 1934 - in a Silly Symphony cartoon entitled "The Wise Little Hen", and has since appeared in more films than any other Disney character. There is a rumor than Mickey Mouse was created to represent who we should be, but Donald represents who we are.

June 9 has become accepted as "Donald Duck Day". How do you celebrate? You hashtag #DonaldDuckDay in social media. No cake, no fanfare .. modern holidays have really started dialing it in. Well we can do one better here, I've linked his first cartoon at the bottom of the post - we should watch that and eat hashbrowns instead.

This design is based on a Pinterest image I tried to reverse engineer from Patrick Van De Ven.  I really like the shape of the back of the head, on the second build I started with the basic head structure Leonardo Carmono uses for his Disney linework, I like the general shape - but do I miss the beautifully rounded back of head.    If I played balloon Frankenstein, I would take the blue eyed head and put it on the taller body.





Oh boy oh boy oh boy!





Other posts with Patrick's designs:


Show all

2 comments:

  1. Great balloons... Loved the cartoon... Fantastic way to start my my day!!! Thanks for the smiles.

    ReplyDelete