Friday, August 12, 2016

August 12 - Balloon Rhino Project


A mind at peace, a mind centered
and not focussed on harming others. is stronger than any physical force in the universe.

~ Wayne Dyer

Some of you saw my contribution to the Balloon Rhino Project yesterday.  I was a bit late in finding out about this project, so I wanted to get the image up as soon as possible.  I'm interrupting my montage of Bling Bling Jam presenters once again for a great cause.

The Pilanesberg National Park in Australia has been victimized in recent years by poachers.  Six years ago someone poached the first rhino from the park, "Suzie" - and now there are on average 10 killed per year.  In addition some that have simply been shot and left wounded.  There is a heart wrenching video entitled "The Day the Rhino Died" on the website that shows the effort some people put in to try and save a wounded calf whose mother had been killed.

A network of balloon artists from around the world, led (I believe) by Guido Verhoef - are trying to raise both awareness and funds to help protect the park from these poachers.  Lots of information on the program and how you can help are on the website:  http://www.theballoonrhinoproject.co.za/

Please visit to learn more, and please consider donating to Pilanesberg Wildlife Fund!

This rhino was made using inspiration from Nao Osaka.  He is amazing the way he creates such elegant forms from just regular 260 balloons and although I have copied a few things he has done from pictures, I've never tried to create something like this from scratch.

Paging Mr. Ocerous, Mr. Ryan Ocerous
Poaching is for eggs 

I'm the mother flippin' Rhymenocerous
My beats are fat and the birds are on my back
And I'm horny (I'm horny)
If you choose to proceed you will indeed concede
'Cause I hit you with my flow
The Wild Rhino Stampede
I'm not just wild, I'm trained, domesticated
I was raised by a rapper and rhino that dated
And subsequently procreated
That's how it goes (link)

3 comments: