Tuesday, July 5, 2016

July 5 - Conrad the Unicorn




~ Hedwig And The Angry Inch - Origin Of Love

Love is love!

Carolynn Hayman created Conrad the Unicorn for this years Twist & Shout Balloon Convention. Conrad has become somewhat of a celebrity, video's of him dancing have gone viral, and there is a Facebook page (link) with over 780 likes as of this moment and growing!  Carolynn has created a balloon hero in the LGBT community in Conrad, and he and has been seen dancing through the streets at a number of Pride parades. 


I saw a live broadcast of Carolynn making part of Conrad's leg recently and thought I might try to build based something similar.   The leg came together very quickly so I put together a checklist of the balloons I'd use to make the whole thing ... I didn't want to spend the energy/balloons/cost on a full prototype so I built a scale model using 360's.

I rushed a bit, and (as always) my next build will be much better.  Though I confess my original intent was to build a gigantic Purple Pig, I've now seen so many videos of Conrad, I'm not sure I could "keep the party going" the way someone in a big balloon costume needs to be bringing it...


Comic Sans is the required font when referencing Unicorns
First when there's nothing, but a slow glowing dream,
That your fear seems to hide, deep inside your mind.
I'm in a balloonicorn!

3 comments:

  1. You nailed it!!!! Thanks for the smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 Thanks! I was really excited to build this one! So many dredlocks though .. I had to give up on giving him his full hairdo, my knotting fingers were feeling hurty.

      Delete
  2. Well at least you won't get carpal tunnel like you did when you were only on the computer. This is an incredible piece!

    ReplyDelete