Thursday, July 7, 2016

July 7 - Helicopter


What can one say about a country where a museum of science in a great city can feature an exhibit in which people fire machine guns from a helicopter at Vietnamese huts, with a light flashing when a hit is scored? What can one say about a country where such an idea can even be considered? You have to weep for this country.

~ Noam Chomsky

Antonio Bécares Rodríguez is an amazing Spanish balloon artist who pushes the art form to new heights.

When I attended Florida Super Jam last year, I knew only a handful of names in "balloon world" - I had no idea who Antonio was.  I did take note of someone carefully placing the final touches on an incredible balloon violin and feeling completely overwhelmed by the talent that was attending. It was a masterpiece, a balloon Stravinski.

Antonio is a true master and innovator, he consistently wins awards for his next level and awe inspiring balloon creations.  This helicopter is available on his website, Globos Altea.   There is a special effect in the way it is built in which you can make the propeller spin. It's not a straw or something you physically turn, it will actually whirl around fairly well.  A brilliant idea!

After a couple prototypes I thought the bulging cockpit looked like eyes, so I went with it.

(Thanks as well to Dan Staples for providing his one(-ish) balloon helicopter for Green.)


Huey

Baby Huey




"So how does this work?"





4 comments:

  1. Awesome blog! Just ordered this fantastic design. Hoping to offer it at my next few events this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you compliment! I hope you like the design - I was really impressed by the few I purchased.

      Delete
  2. Antonio is also one of the nicest people on the planet! Thanks for the smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to make a point of introducing myself next time. :)

      Delete