Wednesday, October 11, 2017

October 11 - Oompa Loompas


Oompa Loompa doopidy dial,
This was inspired by Christopher Lyle,
If you'd like to learn from this fellow,
Follow the link to find Clockwork Yellow.

(link)

Once again I draw inspiration from Christopher Lyle's cheek design to create these Oompa Loompas.

I would say these are based on the original Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - but the remake chose to use the actual book title.  I would be hard pressed to say which version of the movie I like better, there is nostalgia and the amazing Gene Wilder in the original, but it's a more heartfelt story with the amazing Johnny Depp in the remake.  I will just enjoy both equally, watch whatever is on and hope I'm never in the situation of choosing between the two which to watch.

I'm playing around with a Smooshy body style this time as well as trying out how to add hair.  First I made the over-the-head arc with the curls, but felt it lacked some stability so I tried a full head of hair on the larger of the two.

One of the things I'm enjoying about this balloon concept is that it's hard to get the exact size and pressure right in the base structure - so you can end up with radically different looking faces like these two.






Other Clockwork Cheeks:


Other balloon designs by Christopher Lyle:

Show All

1 comment: