Sunday, October 29, 2017

October 29 - Surly Ghost


When the crypt goes creak,
And the tombstones quake.
Spooks come out for a swinging wake.
Happy haunts materialize,
And begin to vocalize.
Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize.

~ Buddy Baker and F. Xavier Atencio
Grim Grinning Ghosts

We're getting close to the end of the month, so I only have a few more of these surly dudes left to post.  I always find it surprising that I run out of days before I run out of designs to use a balloon concept for, and this one in particular I started by having no idea what I would make.

It worked out pretty well I think.  My brother presented me with a quote the last time I visited, "the absence of pressure is the enemy of art".  I think this exercise is proving the converse of that statement true - the pressure of building another 10 of these without any sort of template has encouraged a lot of creative exploration, and I've probably half-built and trashed more than I have shown here.

This ghost is probably the simplest uses of Buster's form.








Other Surly Dudes:


Other balloon designs by or inspired by Buster Balloon:

Show All


1 comment: