Monday, October 23, 2017

October 23 - Surly Bee


Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch
Who watches over you
Make a little birdhouse in your soul
Not to put too fine a point on it
Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet
Make a little birdhouse in your soul

~ They Might Be Giants Birdhouse in Your Soul
   (video)

Before TMBG began making children's albums, they created a masterpiece called "Flood".  The songs are corny and catchy at first, but are filled with symbolic meaning and depth.  This one (to me, as it is obviously open to interpretation) is about growing up and facing your fears, initially with the help of the inanimate object of a nightlight - but then encouraging you to take the step beyond needing this crutch.

I have a good number of yellow 646s that I've used to make minions with, so I thought I would play with this Buster Balloon concept (surly dudes) with those.

This surly bee came out of that. I thought about drawing on the stripes, but I think a woven body works a bit better.






Other Surly Dudes:


Other balloon designs by or inspired by Buster Balloon:

Show All

1 comment: