Saturday, November 4, 2017

November 4 - Tiger


That bungled goodbye hurts me to this day. I wish so much that I'd had one last look at him in the lifeboat, that I'd provoked him a little, so that I was on his mind. I wish I had said to him then - yes, I know, to a tiger, but still - I wish I had said, "Richard Parker, it's over. We have survived. Can you believe it? I owe you more gratitude than I can express I couldn't have done it without you. I would like to say it formally: Richard Parker, thank you. Thank you for saving my life.”

~ Yann Martel, Life of Pi

What a great book/movie, Life of Pi.  I welled up a little in remembrance reading all the brilliant quotes looking for one about the farewell to Richard Parker.  Enjoy the farewell video here but only click if you've seen the movie! (video link)

This tiger is based on a panther that Nao taught by video during a Steve Klein webinar.  Thankfully I took good enough notes and kept pictures enough to make something similar here.  I made a few attempts before getting this straight here and once it was built I felt there were far too few stripes made out of balloons and had to sharpie it up.

I like having 4 independent and movable limbs as it gives a good deal of flexibility to poses.  At first I was going to use the pouncing tiger for the Purple image, but then then look like they're having such a fun tickle fight.







Other balloon designs by or inspired by Nao Osaka:

Show All

1 comment: