Sunday, November 26, 2017

November 26 - Chibicoro Spongebob & Patrick


Spongebob: "Patrick, you're a genius!"
Patrick: "Yeah, I get called that a lot."
Spongebob: "What? A genius?"
Patrick: "No, Patrick."

These are my attempts at making Spongebob and Patrick using the design concept from the Chibicoro website (link).

Patrick was an obvious choice and assembled pretty quickly, but I ended up trying a couple different ideas with Spongebob before settling on something I liked.  I didn't want to have pinch twists to square off the head because they looked like an extra set of arms, and any sort of extra balloons added a weird bulk.

I ended up going for a fatter head but got enthusiastic about an idea for making the legs/shoes.  They should be a bit smaller but I hope you can see what I was going for, those are 260's over a balloon straw with one end tulip twisted in to a pants leg.

I have to remember to focus when I make Chibicoro (or any balloon concept for that matter) - it's not a matter of adding all the little details, when you are creating something using a balloon concept - stick to the concept!  Also, back to basics - what are a few words to describe Spongebob?  A goofy faced yellow sponge in a suit.  Detailed legs are neat but unnecessary.

I finally removed them, which had the added effect of keeping the characters somewhat in proportion to each other.






Other Chibicoro balloon designs:

Show All

1 comment: