Sunday, May 22, 2016

May 22 - Gators


Down in Louisiana,
where the alligators grow so mean
There lived a girl, that I swear to the world
Made the alligators look tame
Polk salad Annie, polk salad Annie
Everybody said it was a shame
Cause her momma was a
  workin' on the chain gang
(A mean vicious woman)
~ Jim Belushi & Dan Akroyd
   Polk Salad Annie (link)

I was just listening to the latest Jam Room podcast, Juan Gonzales was the guest and I was reminded that I wanted to build this.   Juan (pronounced John) is a frequent and creative contributor to the Facebook balloon forums, he is an amazing sharpie artist who would frequently post his "practice" balloons.  He once made a white round into the Violator from Spawn.  So yeah - Good.  I used his "I Hate Sharpie Art" book when I first started trying to practice eyes.

There is an efficiency in Juan's creations and he explains everything very clearly without making it tedious.  You can tell this is the product of a good deal of trial-and-error, there is no struggle to get the main structure to fit into one balloon..

This is from his most recent collection of videos.  The typical alligator balloons look a little klunky to me the way the feet/leg hang off them, it's hard to get them short and stubby and not silly, so having this lurk in water is brilliant.  With this platform, you can mount this on anything you want as well - hat/bracelet/accessory/etc.

I made a 160 baby version and I'm sure this would easily transfer to 360 as well.

They seem so angry...


It's later, here we are!


Other posts with Juan's designs:


Show all

1 comment: