Saturday, May 7, 2016

May 7 - Shark


"Show me the way to go home,
 I'm tired and I want to go to bed.
 Oh, I had a little drink about an hour ago,
 and it's gone right to my head.
 Wherever I may roam, on land or sea or foam.
 You will always hear me singing this song,
 Show me the way to go home."


Martin Lemire released this shark video for purchase on the Twisters Cookbook (link), and I bought it almost instantly.  Not just because he is a great twister (1st place in the small sculpture category at this years Twist & Shout), but he's also a great person in my book - with an ever ready smile and a personality that lights up a room.

When I had been twisting only about 6 months I attended the Florida Super Jam in 2015.  I had come late so I missed any sort of introductions, and was wandering around the jam room feeling awkward and out of place, I'm sure Martin must have noticed because he called me over to sit with him and talk.  He was working on nose ideas for his entry to the dog contest the next day, but was so gregarious and helpful with all my newbie-in-a-jam-room questions, he ended up being the perfect ambassador for this first timer.

This shark is fun, and quick to make - plus it has that great big Bruce smile.  It looks like a mini-version of the Buster shark - which is saying it is miniturized-awesome.   An earlier version of this was released on YouTube, but Martin has since fine-tuned that creation and created a new video.  He says he can create it in three minutes, I didn't try to speed build but that sounds quite doable .... not bad for something that looks this good!

For variety I tried making a blue one, but decided to use dark blue metallic (betallatex), I love the color, but I really don't like the feel of those balloons ... they don't expand very easily and end up popping violently when they do.


Sharks kill 12 people a year ... 

People kill 11,417 sharks a year!

Remember, pigs are friends NOT food.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of those rare occurrences for me where I not only remember the balloons in the tutorial but the person in the tutorial. Admire the man and admire his work!!!! Thanks for the double duty smiles this morning!

    ReplyDelete