Thursday, December 8, 2016

December 8 - Masayoshi's Deer


All of the other reindeer
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Rudolph
Join in any reindeer games

Then one foggy Christmas Eve
Santa came to say
Rudolph with your nose so bright
Won't you guide my sleigh tonight?

~ Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

This is another design I saw on Masayoshi Matsumoto's page, it took a number of attempts to figure out how put it together - it was fun. I'm trying to use up some random balloons that either don't go in my kit of colors or have been pulled out for some reason, I have a couple legless rainbow deer bodies to show for the previous attempts - but they will make excellent resources for when I want to try building something similar to this.

I ended up building two.  When I built the black nosed reindeer I felt like I got some of the proportions a little wonky, I definitely like the Rudolph body better, it's smaller and cuter.  That's the general rule of balloons I believe, bigger can be neat - but smaller is generally more adorable.

One of the more difficult things to get right on a design that has longer legs is leg sizing and positioning, thankfully Mr. Matsumoto has shown a great way to make that slightly easier by creating stands for his designs.  I brought Rudolph to give to the folks at my gym today.




... but we were going to go to the movies tonight!


Other posts with Masayoshi Matsumoto's designs:


Show all

1 comment: