Thursday, December 1, 2016

December 1 - Robots


“National boundaries are not evident when we view the Earth from space. Fanatical ethnic or religious or national chauvinisms are a little difficult to maintain when we see our planet as a fragile blue crescent fading to become an inconspicuous point of light against the bastion and citadel of the stars.”

~ Carl Sagan Cosmos

More than a balloon twister, Pascal Grooten is an artist.  He has a knack for distortion and has a style that is both unique and enviable!

I wish he had some available tutorials for me to learn his techniques directly.  He has one distortion technique that for the life of me I can't even wrap my head around how he does it -- effectively he has a round balloon with nozzles poking out from craters all around it like a mace. It's crazy.

A lot of his designs are either detailed inorganic objects or amazing robots and spacecraft, I would describe his art style as influenced by the 60s sci-fi.  He uses balloons to great effect as a medium for his art, getting complex shapes and forms out of the simple materials.  These are a couple of his simpler robot/creatures that I figured I would first try to copy before moving on to anything more difficult.  I've played with some rudimentary attempts at doing some of his distortion and they are just not ready for prime time yet...




Could we use your restroom?

1 comment:

  1. This one is definitely ready for prime time. Thanks for the smiles!!!

    ReplyDelete