Tuesday, April 11, 2017

April 11 - Orange is the New Black

Taystee
It’s like you become more you. Which normally is like [mimes a bomb going off] because the person, like, whoever, they chose to take all that on. All that weird stuff. But now it’s okay…whatever is wrong or bad or hiding in you, suddenly it’s alright. You don’t feel like such a freak anymore.’

~ Suzanne on love

Orange is the New Black is another one of my favorite shows, it's the story of life in the Litchfield prison system.  Not only is the subject inherently interesting, but every week you get a backstory as to what brought each of these women (and guards) to be in this place.

The idea for building these gals was based on my spare kit of balloons and seeing I had a number of orange.  For the most part, they women wear beige - but their initial outfits as they enter are orange.

My first attempt was Piper, who the story generally follows, but I'm not sure I like the way the hair and mouth ended up.

Next I wanted to build my favorite character, Suzanne. Suzanne, nicknamed 'Crazy Eyes' is a fantastic and emotional character, oftentimes the mind of an 8 year old trapped in an adult body (which you might say is how she ended up in prison).  My first attempt at her didn't get it right, so I fluffed her hair up more and turned her into Taystee, who is one of the most grounded characters and ends up being somewhat of the "mom" to the bunch.

Suzanne

Piper



Other Little Guys:


Show all

2 comments: