Sunday, February 19, 2017

February 19 - Doctor Manhattan


There is no future. There is no past. Do you see? Time is simultaneous, an intricately structured jewel that humans insist on viewing one edge at a time, when the whole design is visible in every facet.

~ Dr. Manhattan Watchmen
   (Alan Moore)

When pondering what superhero characters I should make with Scott Lanham's superhero form, immediately I started thinking of all of the traditional heroes and how I might build them - but I wanted something different.

From the DC comic books Watchmen, written by Alan Moore - Doctor Manhattan is Dr. Jonathan Osterman, a nuclear physicist who inadvertently disintegrated during an experiment, but was later able to reconstruct himself into a superhero with nearly limitless power. At one point he was falsely accused of causing cancer to his close associates, so he flees to Mars to contemplate whether or not he should use his powers aid humanity or let them either thrive or destroy themselves as natural evolution. That's the scene I tried to recreate here.

If you haven't read the comic, it's one of my favorites and available in graphic novel form. Well worth the read - who watches the watchmen?

I built two separate heads, I don't really have a good "male face" in my repertoire - and most of them end up having a bit of a sneer, which didn't seem appropriate. Jon would be contemplative and perhaps a bit sad. I like the first one (below and on the left), but did not take too many pictures before swapping.






Other posts with the Lanham super-design:


Show all

1 comment: