Thursday, January 26, 2017

January 26 - Little Green Men


Buzz: This is an intergalactic emergency. I need to commandeer your vessel to Sector 12. Who's in charge here?
All Aliens: [pointing up] The clawwwwwwwww!
Alien #1: The claw is our master.
Alien #2: The claw chooses who will go and who will stay.

~ Toy Story

The LGM are a fun first representative from the next concept I will be exploring here. A little over a year ago, Jeffrey Hayes hosted a webinar where he showed us his design concept - Quad Bods. This was one of the designs he used as an example in that lesson.

I am a huge fan of Jeff's work, he has fantastic forward thinking ideas.  There are a few exercises I perform when working with balloons; if it's a design - I first try to build it as written, but then I ask myself a series of questions as I try to improve upon it.  One of the first of these questions is "What would Jeff do?"

Following the bouncy ball, I first built the purple one above, but when looked up some images to reference when drawing his eyes, I realized I got the colors wrong.  My second attempt had fatter ears, which wasn't quite right but I realize I should have turned them sideways for the picture.





Other posts with Mr. Hayes' designs:


Show all

3 comments:

  1. A fun start to the day. Thanks for the smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i thought that's called it chibicoro balloon design by japan artist...
    they have a wesite contains lot of the design for a few year & still updating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very similar but slightly different structure - I *love* the Chibicoro site, I used some creations from it last year and will be using it as one of the site balloon concepts sometime this year I am certain:
    http://dailypurplepig.blogspot.com/search/label/chibicoro

    ReplyDelete