Monday, January 30, 2017

January 30 - Quad Sloth


They call me the sloth
Way down in the ghetto
Italian Spaghetti
Singing falsetto
Sleeping all day
Rip Van Winklin'
Spend my nights in bars
Glasses tinklin'

~ Phish The Sloth

Recently in the balloon forums someone asked to see versions of a sloth, and a nice variety have been posted - from realistic versions to Sid, the sloth from Ice Age. On the heels of making the koala, I figured I would try my hand at a sloth using Jeffrey Hayes quad bod technique.

One of the biggest complications with using this form is that it is not a very pose-able design, the body looks cute with squat against the head, but the head faces rigidly forward - come to think of it, it might be nice to try a two-duo quad bod to separate the two, hmmmmm.  I wanted to get a sloth in motion so I tried adding some simple legs. I'm not sure I like the result so I then made a "classic" version.

A balloon concept forces you to think in the simplest of terms when attempting an animal:
* What is a giraffe? Yellowish, long neck, brown spots.
* What is an elephant? Grey, trunk, enormous ears, tusks.
* What is a koala? Grey and white, big ears, prominent nose.
* What is a sloth? ... I went with "brown, prominent nose and eyes that stripe down the side of the face, three toes"





1 comment: