Friday, May 12, 2017

May 12 - Medusa


Perseus: How may a mortal man face and defeat the Kraken?
Stygian Witch: The Kraken is invulnerable. 100 men could not fight him. An army could not kill him.
Perseus: Nothing is invulnerable.There must be a way.
Stygian Witch: Perhaps, one way.  But a way even more dangerous than the Kraken itself.
Perseus: Tell me.
Stygian Witch: Give me the eye and l'll tell you.
Perseus: First, tell me.
Stygian Witch: The head of Medusa. The Gorgon!

~ Clash of the Titans (1981)

I was wondering if I could use Shana Brenion's cutie doll technique to make something less "princess" and cute, so I tried for Medusa.

The story of Medusa is truly a terrible one, I remember being shocked about the circumstances of her transformation as a kid.  Originally one of three "ravishingly beautiful" gorgon sisters and the one mortal one of the three, she was defiled by Poseidon in the Temple of Athena.  Athena punished her by turning her hair into serpents and made her face so horrible that anyone who looked at her would be turned to stone.  Punishing the victim ... I think she's a bit justified in wanting to turn the whole world to stone.

I tried to give her a sinister expression, but smiling vs. smiling malevolently is subtle and I'm not sure I pulled it off.  I also had a hard time making the snakes "snakey", they still look like jolly worms to me.





Other Cutie Dolls:

Show all




1 comment: